Sunday, March 6, 2011

One Hour

I have recently become very aware of just how important an hour can be in someone's life. After I called and informed her that my life felt like complete chaos and frustration, a family friend came by. She folded laundry with me and hung out with my kids while I put it all away (a step that I hardly ever get around to). I think she was actually here for around 1.5 hours but regardless, it wasn't so much time as to be a huge commitment for her and it meant everything to me. It made me feel like maybe there might be hope. She also brought over a cook book and a few groceries for us as I had told her about our current financial blight.

The same day, another friend of mine dropped off supper for us and I don't think mac'n'cheese has ever tasted so good to me - not to mention the cucumber!

This is in response to my crying out in my despair. Jesse and I have been having a really, really difficult time lately. School, FINANCES, raising children, little alone time, and a general hormonal imbalance or maybe just craziness has been putting us through the ringer. We have felt very isolated and helpless and, in turn, angry because that's the opposite of what we expected when we decided to move to a Bible college town. And so it is, that I have decided that enough is enough. I will not sit and feel sorry for myself and complain that nobody here helps us in practical ways. I will very specifically ask for practical help. And I will offer practical help.

As you begin a new week, I ask that you will do a few things:

1. Pray for us. Pray that our marriage will be strengthened and not broken and that we will not murdalize our little ones - hehehe. Pray that I will get on top of my responsibilities as a wife and mom and that Jesse will get on top of his responsibilities as a student and family man. (And if you want, you could pray that our lottery ticket will be the winner - lol!)

2. If you have ideas and time and are close enough, please, please stop in any time. I'd love help learning how to use my slow cooker and meal plan for low budget meals. I can use any company and would much rather wash my dishes with someone to talk to, and my kids would love to play with your kids!

3. If you are near or far, please consider those in your life who would benefit from an hour of your time. I just made a call booking an hour to help a friend of mine in town next week, and I'm super excited. What better way to get to know people or show them you love them than by helping them with their daily chores or just being there to make their day seem less mundane.

4. Don't forget to ask for help if you need it and let's cut the shit a bit and ask for what we really need, not just some basic prayer request or hint at our situations. Let's be real with one another!

Thanks for reading!

P.S. I'm so excited to be starting a new grocery shopping routine with my friend. Neither of us can afford to spend the amount needed at Superstore to get the free products, so we're going to shop together and share them! I'm super stoked for the free products as well as the grocery shopping buddy!

3 comments:

  1. Hey! On the recipe thing, low budget meals, etc. I have a list on the side of my blog of different subjects and "recipes" is one of them. They're all things I have made while living on a low budget and cooking on a two-burner hotplate! I hope they are inspirational.
    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Casey - certainly praying for you - wish I was close enough to give you a little practical help. I remember the days when life was just one big blur of babies and diapers and toys and laundry and everything seemed to be in a mess. The sweetest words spoken to me then were 'it gets better' - and honestly it does. The kids grow up, the stop needing diapers, they can pick up their own toys, and put their own laundry away, and you can even have some alone time with your hubbie when they go off to pre-school or school or.... Why don't you try swapping baby-sitting with a friend for some time for YOU! Love and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I totally, completely, 100% understand! It is so hard being away from your community and to be in a place where you have expectations that just don't come to fruition. We are praying for you guys! I am one of those people that unfortunately gets so caught up in my own struggles, and issues, that I forget that there are people around me going through the same thing and could use an hour too! Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete