Friday, October 30, 2009

Vaccination - The Reason It's a Touchy Issue

If you believe in vaccinations you most likely believe in some or all of the following:
- the diseases vaccines prevent are very serious and severe.
- these diseases aren't prevalent since the introduction of vaccines.
- the dangers the vaccine "may" introduce are of less concern than the dangers of the disease they prevent.

You might also believe that it is your civic responsibility to vaccinate your children. This being due to the fact that vaccinations work because of percentages. Currently we as a society meet the standards of vaccinating a certain percentage of our children which is why we don't see terrible diseases like Polio, Measles, etc. very often (and when we do see them they are usually within communities that don't vaccinate their children). That means that the people who are vaccinating their children are protecting those children who are not vaccinated. This is part of the reason people get their hackles up when it comes to this issue.

The other part is that because vaccines are not safe until certain ages, some children who will later be vaccinated are at risk of the severe diseases while they are too young to receive the vaccines. In addition unborn babies are at a risk even if the mother was vaccinated as a child, and even though they are partially protected by the mother's immune system.
So it is somewhat cavalier for a person to state "what's best for you is best for you and what's best for me is best for me." Because one parent choosing not to vaccinate their children takes away the choice for parents of infants and unborn babies.

- I am a firm believer in most childhood vaccinations.

- I don't believe these vaccinations cause Autism and frankly if they did, I'm not sure it would change my mind.

- I don't worry that when my child is 50 she will develop cancer due to potential long term effects of vaccines, because I feel that the effects of vaccine preventable diseases in children are of more concern.

- I feel that we are blessed to live in a country where we are able to be vaccinated.

- I believe that it is a privilege to live in Canada - which reminds me - we do live in Canada and not the U.S. so please keep that in mind when it comes to conspiracy theories about issues that don't affect us - vaccines are different in the States and even province to province. (Just a side note)

- I am grateful for the fact that I don't have to worry about my daughter dying from starvation and though I don't wish autism upon children, I also see that people in Africa would probably gladly take the chance of their child being autistic rather than that same child dying of starvation, or complications of diseases like polio or mumps.

- I believe that if you choose not to vaccinate your child, you should be grateful to those who do because they are protecting yours.

- And I believe that should you choose not to vaccinate your child you should be very very careful when your children are in contact with infants and pregnant women or those people who are not able to receive vaccinations. If your child has come in contact with someone with a disease/virus and may or may not have it, keep them away from infants and pregnant women. Your child is most contagious before you know if they are sick, so do your part and stop the spread.

- I do believe in a parent's right to choose what they feel is best for their child - but I'd like them to understand where their decision fits in their community as well as their country and the world.

- And I'd like parents who choose not to vaccinate their children to understand why, during the time my infant is unprotected, I am not appreciative of the risk to my child.

12 comments:

  1. Well done Casey! This blogging thing may be just what you need. Make sure you keep being thoughtful, logical, clear, and assertive in your language. I like it. If you can slow down and patiently word and reword your thoughts they'll end up being just as brilliant as this blog post happens to be. Perhaps your blood will "boil" less if you use this kind of outlet more often. I will be an avid reader if you keep writing like this. It is amazing how fresh rational thought can be. This is fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done. I doubt that you will convince those people that don't vaccinate. They have to take the pole, that is rammed up their butt, out so that they could bend a bit and see someone else's point of view. It is rare that they are misguided. It is more often that they are high and mighty. It's their children's lives they are taking the risk for. I'd love to see some kid sue its parent over something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for putting my thoughts into words :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just making sure I know how to comment here so I can let my mom know how:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you for putting your thoughts and feelings into a well written post:) I continue to enjoy your blog. We are so different in many ways but it is continual fun getting to know one another more. Glad you have a long distance package too, it is nice to talk so regularly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wuz vacsinated an it dint afekt me atall! I'me glade KC rites so beootifly! It mekes mee proude to bee hur Da!

    ReplyDelete
  7. But seriously, folks,
    not all vaccines are made with yolks
    Some cell culture shots are due
    For allergic folks who don't want flu

    ReplyDelete
  8. Casey-
    I appreciate your thoughts and passion on this issue. We are (so far) up to date with Kellan's vaccines and 'probably' will in the future.
    But over the past few months I have done some research and I would just like to share it with you. It might help you get a better picture of the "other side". I'm not trying to say either side is 'right' I just want you to be informed and then to go ahead with the decision that you feel is best - although I think your mind is pretty made up ;)

    To some people/families, vaccines are a prolife issue. Back in the 60's-70's when they were making them they used aborted babies to grow/culture the (some not all) vaccines. So for them allowing their children to be vaccinated means that they are supporting these abortions and that doesn't sit right with them.

    I have lots of info if you would like to know more. We are wrestling with this issue and we may chose differently in the future about vaccinations.

    I don't want to argue with you, I just want people to know the 'truth' about vaccines that the companies like to keep quiet.

    I think it's great that you are speaking out and wrestling with these issues! Hugs! -j

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jen,

    I'm Casey's brother-in-law. She often infuriates me. We butt heads all the time! We've argued over what seems like everything under the sun! That said, I would like to defend her on one seemingly minor point.

    In some sense you "...think [Casey's] mind is pretty made up". Now, we both know that Casey is a passionate person. However, over the last couple years I have seen her seriously process the arguments we've had. Sometimes she sticks with her original opinion, but most times she is at least willing to modify her opinion if I present solid information. Casey is a smart cookie! As proud as Casey can be, she has at least a modicum of humility. I'm sure that even some of the most outwardly stubborn people are learning in ways that we will never understand.

    If you are right about the abortive tissue thing, you have discovered a valid point of consideration. However, it is no secret that biological experimentation/science is often disturbing to the average person. My first question would be: where does distaste end and immorality begin? (Assuming you're correct about the abortive tissue) My second question would be: if our choice to not vaccinate results from an objection to the origin of the field, should we not apply the same logic to all products? This opens up a HUGE can of worms!

    So, for the time being: I like cake!

    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here is a link that shows which (Canadian) vaccine has which 'fetal cell line'. The cell lines are in code for the aborted fetuses used. You can google the numbers (ex. WI-38) and see for yourself.

    http://www.cogforlife.org/canadianvaccines.htm

    More later...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes. It does open up a big can of worms... & that is why most people choose to leave it alone – because we don’t want to wrestle with stem cell research, organ donation, IVF & any & all manner of disturbing issues... Thing is, it’s worth wrestling with - & if it starts with vaccination & goes to other places – so be it.
    As far as the question of where distaste ends & immorality begins, this is an even better question. i recently had a conversation with someone about prostitution being wrong... It’s not just illegal (in our country) to be a prostitute, but it’s also illegal to engage a prostitute or to be a pimp.. Why is that? Because those other things are keeping prostitution in business – they are contributing to the equation... In the same way, i believe that using vaccines that are created using cell lines from aborted babies implies approval & contributes to murder & to the further dehumanization of the human race ... (for example ongoing research using fetal cell lines...)
    i recently blogged about immunizations being a prolife issue here - http://sojourner-ephraim.blogspot.com/2009/10/immunizations-simplifying.html
    i think it's so important that we start conversations about this. Right now, the pharmaceutical companies are working on getting the flu vaccine cultured on aborted fetal tissue rather than chick embryos because it will cut costs & be a quicker, easier process. i don't think that this is something that's gonna end without public outcry.
    It's certainly not a decision (not to vaccinate) that we've made lightly in our family...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just happened to stumble upon your blog, and while I think that you know my husband, I hope that you don't mind a comment from someone whom you don't know. I would also preface this with the statement that I am not anti-vac, I just have major concerns and issues that I am working through.
    As Jen mentioned about the use of aborted fetal tissue, for many of us who have grappled (and are still grappling with) the decision to vaccinate or not is also a moral one(as are many medical practices today). Should our "civic duty" take priority over what our beliefs and consience have told us? I say no. For my family this is the major concern of vaccines. Use of aborted fetal tissue is still ongoing, the chicken pox vaccine being a good example as it is a relatively new vaccine.
    You said be grateful to other parents for vaccinating their children because they are protecting ours. With my beliefs on the above, I can hardly concur with that statement. I have seen enough sickness and disease to know that I am not able to assume that my child will not suffer. But why should my child be safe at cost of another child's life? Also as an example of how twisted things get, there was an outbreak of mumps in our area a while back. The media hyped up the fact that about 50% were not vaccinated which got everyone up in arms. What about the other 50%. They also couldn't say for certain where it started.
    I agree with you that if you know that you have been exposed to something, stay away from others, especially pregnant women. However, I would also argue that past evidence has shown that disease to does not carry across the placenta the way that it has been suggested (measles is a good example) though of course an ill mother can affect her baby's health.
    Anyways I could go on but this is not the place. However, I hope that you and others who read your blog understand that such decisions are not easy ones for us to make. We don't just make a jump choice not vaccinate and assume that our kids can ride on the backs of other people's nor do we live in a dream world where our kids are protected. Living what one believes is not always easy even in this area. Also every person who asks the questions and does the research who then decides that all or some vaccines are not for them are not uneducated and misguided, but nor are they all high and mighty.

    ReplyDelete