Sunday, February 6, 2011

Major change?

A friend recently asked people to comment on her blog about a major change that had happened in their life and how they had handled it. This was my response:

Ok, I think I've narrowed it down to my top five and that'll have to do. I'll list them in order of occurrence, not significance.

1. When I became a 'real' Christian. I had asked the Lord into my life when I was a young child but never truly 'walked the talk' on the week days. Every year I'd go to camp and re-dedicate my life to Christ, but when I was 15 I said I was ready to go where God wanted "even if there are spiders", and when I went home that year I really lived it. This was also when I moved in with my aunt and uncle who were very helpful in my walk with Christ.

2. When I lost my virginity. I suppose this is fairly self-explanatory, so I won't go into too much detail, but I remember feeling that something changed and that I wouldn't feel the same again. I don't regret things in life, because I believe all of our experiences make us who we are as people, but I would love to have saved that moment for my husband. I will say, though, that the first time with my husband was far different and is much more important a memory for me.

3. Hitting and killing a man who successfully commit suicide by jumping off an overpass in front of my car on the #1 highway in BC. At the time I had a career path and was going to school 45 minutes away from my home. After the accident I quit school because I wasn't willing to risk my life each day on the road. Thankfully I regained my driving confidence and didn't lock myself inside for the rest of my life! There was nothing I could do and I don't feel bad about anything, but it's not really something you ever forget happened to you. Seeing as my family started me off on the comedic healing route by saying "wow, the men are just throwing themselves at you" (hopefully nobody's offended by this) I have on more than one occasion told the story while laughing and I am thankful for God's grace in helping me move past this event.

3. The day I met my husband. It really was love at first sight. He pictured me in a wedding dress the moment he saw me. I started writing a song when I got home that night about knowing something was up. We were engaged 8 days later and married a month and a half after that. Marriage is hard (which is why I insist constantly that people call me Mrs. instead of Ms.!) but I am so very thankful that God knew more about what I needed than I did and that he placed Jesse and I together in such a unique way.

5. Becoming a mom (twice). My children continually challenge me and make me grow as a person, and all the while they're so CUTE! I have the most amazing children -- don't try to argue with me;-)! I look forward to them continuing to change me and impress me, bring me to tears and laughter, and surprise me for the rest of my life!

**I had a really fun time reflecting on the changes in my life and thought you'd enjoy this little post about me:-) Feel free to comment on your big change/changes!

2 comments:

  1. "Marriage is hard (which is why I insist constantly that people call me Mrs. instead of Ms.!)" Particularly enjoyed that comment of yours!

    So many things I liked about this post, your honesty, learning some more of YOUR story and even the concept. What a great idea, to examine the big changes in our lives and how they have changed us, made us, and how we handled them.

    Thanks for sharing.

    On a side note I am supposed to share my testimony for a specific blog group I am part of this Monday and to be honest, trying to decide what I want to say is difficult... life has been so full.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this when you posted it on the other blog. Thanks for sharing some of your story!

    ReplyDelete